Even if a professional mover will take care of your move, it is best to prepare yourself by understanding everything that is involved beforehand. This will enable you to plan accordingly.
FOUR Weeks To Go:
- File a change of address form with the post office.
- Notify creditors and subscription services of your new address.
- Research doctors and dentist in your new location.
- Set aside items to be sold or donated.
- Have a garage sale.
- Arrange time off at work.
- Buy moving supplies like boxes and tape.
- Inventory your items. Assign a value to them.
- Arrange utility services to be turned on/off at your new and old homes.
- Notify your child`s school of your impending move.
THREE Weeks To Go:
- Make a plan for moving with pets and plants.
- Review your home insurance to see if moving is covered.
- Transfer your insurance to cover your new home.
TWO Weeks To Go:
- Start Packing
- Make travel arrangements.
- Arrange appliance services.
- Discontinue newspaper delivery, trash pick-up, etc
You Also Notify;
- Post Office redirection service
- Insurance companies (Building, contents, cars, life, pets, travel)
- Bank/National Savings
- DVLA for motor licence and driving licence
- Internet services provider
- Satellite or Cable Company
- TV Licensing authority
- Store loyalty cards (Nectar< Boots, Tesco etc.)
- Club membership
ONE Week To Go:
- Confirm the final details of the moving day with your movers.
- Clean and defrost your fridge and freezer
- Do as much laundry as possible
- Arrange a time to collect the keys to your new home with your estate agent
- Pack your most important documents in a safe, accessible place. This includes passport, driving licences, birth certificates and insurance papers.
- Pack an essentials box for your first few days at your new home.
ONE Day Before Moving:
- Take a thorough walk around your house, check all areas.
- Pack a few lunchboxes for when you get hungry during your moving day.
- Pack a box with tools you need to unpack such as box cutters, scissors, and pens
- Make sure your phone is fully charged.
- Create an information packet for new owners – instructions for appliances, rubbish collection schedule etc.
- Get a good night sleep.
ON Your Moving Day:
- Record your meter reading to ensure that you are not charged for usage that is not yours.
- Take a last look around your house for forgotten items.
- Make sure all appliances are switched off.
- Give your movers emergency contact numbers